Tele-Psych with Paddy and Carole (Video-Counselling with Doxy.me)
[Updated August 2020]
For the Fall of 2020, Paddy and Carole will be counselling, cajoling and comforting over Doxy.me, a hyper-secure teleconferencing system. (Did you see the pun? “Doc-see-me.”) As of September 1, Paddy will visit with some of his clients in-person and continue with others online.
Using Doxy, you don’t need to download anything — you just get an email from me on the time you have booked. Click that and you are in.
To go directly to Carole’s Doxy waiting room, click here.
To go directly to Paddy’s Doxy waiting, click here.
We are moving from Skype and FaceTime to something that is simpler and more secure. You can look up Doxy.me here. It will take you a couple of minutes to orient, but it is pretty basic and easy to use.
Having said this, if you wish to visit Paddy at our office, this is again being offered on his Monday and Thursday appointments and not on his Tuesday and Wednesday off-time mornings (“What the heck are those?”). In this case, please read my blog “Current Covid-19 Concerns.” This will explain our approach to minimizing contact and thwarting this disease should you visit our home office.
Prior to starting video-counselling, I want to go over a few things with you. Here is my list.
- There are obvious benefits to video-counselling. If you are out of the Vancouver area or if you have some sickness. Some busy business folk who are trapped in meetings video-call me from their offices and cars!
- There are some risks too. We are using technology (and wires and stuff, that I don’t know much about) to make this work. This is why we are switching to Doxy.me. It is just more secure.
- Confidentiality still applies to all telepsychology services.
- We will not record our sessions and I can’t see why we would wish a recording – so we won’t record. We hope that you won’t either.
- Note that you need to use a webcam or smartphone during the session. Otherwise, it is much more difficult with simply voice.
- It is important to be in a quiet, private space that is free of distractions (including a cell phone or other devices) during the session. Kids can be a problem too.
- It is important to use a secure internet connection rather than public/free Wi-Fi (eg Starbucks).
- It is important to be on time. If you need to cancel or change your tele-appointment, you must notify us in advance by phone or email. Can you give us a day or so? Sure helps us.
- We need a back-up plan (e.g., a phone number where you can be reached) to restart the session or to reschedule it, in the event of technical problems. Make sure we have your phone number.
- You should confirm with your insurance company that the video sessions will be reimbursed; if they are not reimbursed, you are responsible for the payment.
- As your psychologist, I may determine that due to certain circumstances, telepsychology is no longer appropriate and that we should resume our sessions in-person.
- Get your coffee or pour your tea and let’s get going. Connect with Doxy.me.
Best to you all and stay healthy.