Been Thinking About Change (Laura Sportack)
Laura Sportack, a friend as well as the chaplain at GF Strong (Rehabilitation Centre in Vancouver), has been thinking about change. Here are her thoughts and you could add your own.
- — Moving from where one is to where one wants to be.
- — A decision made out of necessity.
- — Deciding to do something good with painful memories.
- — The undoing of a habitual action, response, thought, emotion.
- — Behaviours that assume a different sequencing or timing.
- — A choice to act on thinking rather than, or at least more than, feeling.
- — Using different language to describe an emotion or an action.
- — An achievable hope.
- — Listening instead of speaking.
- — For the better or for the worse, and sometimes it is hard to tell which it is.
- — Not always noticed by others.
- — Identifiable.
- — Simultaneously intrapersonal and interpersonal.
- — A measured response, not a spontaneous or intuitive reaction.
- — Specific to a need.
- — When you are afraid and decide to go ahead with it anyhow.
- — Forgiving yourself and others before you understand how you failed.
- — God’s way of saving me.
If Laura sounds like a therapist, she is also that. Thanks Laura for your list. (And you might wish to click on the “change” tag below to read some other thoughts on changing.)